Sunday, September 12, 2010

First Post - Troubles with Perforce

This was my first time looking at Perforce and from first glance it's quite similar to CVS and Subversion.

I can't decide if it's compatible with Eclipse yet, I'll have to figure out how it works with Eclipse another time.

I initially installed it on my PC (running Windows 7) and when I tried to add a file it said "1 warning reported, C:/SE456/test.txt - no permission for operations on file(s)." I messed around with the permissions on my SE456 directory and nothing works. Looked up the error online and several people seem to have had it, but they all typo'ed somewhere or something and got it to work.

Okay, I'm thinking it's a quirky Windows bug, so I switch to my Mac. Same error, can't just be a coincidence, I'm doing something wrong.

Back to the PC again.

Okay, this time I'll pull down the sample file from the Depot. Okay that worked, and it created some additional directories inside my C:/SE456. Okay I'll try to upload into one of those created directories, okay that worked.

1 comment:

  1. Good job!
    Perforce is _very_ consistent and case sensitive, it takes a while to understand the tool.
    Sounds like you are getting it.

    ReplyDelete